You know him. You love him. (Well, maybe not.) He’s the two-time Journalist of the Month, Kang Shin-who, and you’ll never guess whom he’s trained his cross-hairs on this time. Go on, guess. Foreign teachers! I bet you never saw that coming, since he’s never done that before.
The government has made efforts to set up more foreign schools as a means to create an environment friendly to foreign investors. However, these schools?accounting [sic] and other operations have not been supervised by the authorities.
Actually, the article does bring up some points that are valid discussion topics. For example:
“Teaching without a license could be problematic, but we cannot intervene in the matter as it should be handled by the education ministry,” said an immigration official.
“We, as a law enforcement agency, are just checking drug and criminal records of teachers.”
At the same time, experts say the turnover rate for teachers is very high compared to those of Singapore and other nations. In the case of Singapore, many teachers at international schools stay for more than 10 years on average, but it comes down to two to five years for teachers at foreign schools here.
However, there are just a few problems with the article.
– It’s written by Kang Shin-who, so we don’t know if the information is accurate. He has been outright wrong with his facts before.
– It’s written by Kang Shin-who, so we don’t know if the quotes are accurate. If the quotes are not to his liking, he’ll just make them up.
– It’s written by Kang Shin-who, a member of the hate group Anti-English Spectrum. He claims that he became a registered member only for the purpose of gathering information. I’m sure that we can trust that 100%.
– It’s written by Kang Shin-who, who, in the past, has both used his own, personal definitions of “unqualified” as well as shifted from the term “unqualified” to “ineligible” to “inadequate” so as to make sure that the umbrella term is large enough to put whomever you want under it.
– It’s written by Kang Shin-who, who in the past has conflated two different, unrelated topics (e.g. “unqualified” teachers and sex crimes against minors; “unqualified” teachers and consensual sex between Koreans and foreigners).
– It’s written by Kang Shin-who, and so some people will, after seeing the author’s name, not want to read it.